Monday, August 01, 2005

rainy days and birthdays

you said Is (XIII)

you said Is
there anything which
is dead or alive more beautiful
than my body,to have in your fingers
(trembling ever so little)?
Looking into
your eyes Nothing,i said,except the
air of spring smelling of never and forever.

....and through the lattice which moved as
if a hand is touched by a
hand(which
moved as though
fingers touch a girl's
breast,
lightly)
Do you believe in always,the wind
said to the rain
I am too busy with
my flowers to believe, the rain answered.

(e.e. cummings)

***

the clouds are caving in, really caving in--a sure sign for me that is indeed august, my birth month indeed.

i remember how in all the 21 years of my life, never has a birthday gone by when it didn't rain (just ask family and friends who get caught up in a storm every 29th because of their unfortunate association with me). as a kid, i elevated downpour to the ranks of a twin even.

i take my birthdays more than just a literal rainy day. sinister inevitably finds its way to describe it for some indeterminable reason. to cite, last year i woke to a miserable sight of red rashes all over my face and body. i remember my journal entry then: i know red is the color of the day but rashes? if this is a peek of what the year has in store for me then please, please give me back my childhood.

this year it's going to be a monday, and i vowed to take a birthday leave at work even if i'm a contractual and therefore not allowed one.

13 Comments:

Blogger Janeca said...

I think we suffer the same fate, regarding our birthdays. But my lola told me once, when I was still a kid, that raining on your special day is a blessing. So let's just comfort ourselves with that thought. We are blessed (although sometimes it's really freakin' hard to see that). =)

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

weird thing is i feel almost relieved--happy even--when it finally rains on my birthday. maybe it's out of pure habit,but i think i'd feel incomplete if it didn't. it's the figurative downpour that really bothers me though.

sige, survey: top 3 na pinakapangit na nangyari sa'yo sa araw ng kaarawan mo? hee, ako sa sobrang dami kailangan ko pang pagnilayan=)

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

at siyempre, dagdagan pa ng pagsumpong ng bronchitis ko pagdating ng agosto.

good luck sa akin on tuesday. excited pa naman ako=(

8:09 PM  
Blogger Janeca said...

Grabe wala akong maisip. Kahit yata anung f*cked-up ng buong buhay ko, my birthday always manages to be the way birthdays are supposed to be: happy and full of warmth. Haha!

Ay wait, meron pala. Nung 18th bday ko, hours before the party nag-away kami ni Chris. Pero dahil ako ang batas, naging maayos din ang lahat at naging masaya ang gabi. Hahaha.

2:05 AM  
Blogger Peachy said...

Des!! I didn't know you were in Blogspot, hahaha. Oh, it's so good to catch a bit of you, even if it's in Cyberspace. How are you doing, darlin? I do miss you!!! (And Dumaguete, but that's a given, isn't it? Hahaha.)

Peachy

4:37 AM  
Blogger Peachy said...

Ay, by the way, I think tayo nanaman yung magkapareha. I'm not over Dumaguete yet, I'm still in denial, dammit. For example:

Peachy: Oh, yeah, Dumaguete was so much fun! I think I'm over it now, though, thank God. (Runs back to her flat later to sift through the manuscript again and feel miserable about being in Manila.)

O, diba? Sabi nga ng kaibigan ko, I'm the Denial Queen. You're better off because you admit it. Haha.

Peachy, a.k.a., Oh-Please-I'm-Over-Dumaguete

4:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

peachy! you have a blog too! yey! can i please link you?!

grabe, you'd think we should be way over dumaguete na no?! pero demmet, mahirap pala talaga=/

amishu too! go to the dumaguete site i told you. it's fun manipulating the view=)

5:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nga pala, peach, how did you find out about this blog?=)

5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aaaaaaarrrghhhh!!!!! Kakaasar tong araw na 'to. I lost my watch this morning on my way to school tapos ang bigat bigat pa ng dala ko tapos some careless and incredibly blind asswipe crashed her foot down on Felmer inside the jeep so hard that I thought I could hear the strings popping. sinigawan ko siya ng "Bitch!!!Bakit di mo na lang kaya sipain?!" Tapos wala na kong kape at white flower sa office. Tapos dami ko pang babasahin para sa class at di ko magawa ang trabaho ko kasi down ang site ng UP. Init pa. 8:35 pa lang ha.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Wala lang. Gusto ko lang magwala. have a nice day, y'all.

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what? anong sabi nung "bitch"? siyet, kamusta naman si felmer?=(

poor you...hay, iinom na lang natin yan ng gin at tequila soon, okay?

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hindi naman siya na-damage kasi nakasoftcase na siya eh. May nasagot pa naman sa Adolfo ni Barney (however weakly) pagkatapos. =) I have to get him a hardcase soon, am eyeing the sole Gator case sa audiophile pero good luck, magiging feeling may Romanillos ako. =)
I'm saving up to buy my own custom-made Adolfo, hehehe, which I'll name Enkidu.

Bakit dito ako nagkwekwento--dahil matagal na tayong di nagkikita which is weird because I'm used to seeing you at least once a week, hoy.

1:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know! it's so weird talking here, then not mentioning these things when we talk on the phone or text at night. pero tama--let's meet up SOON.

chitchat's here na sa abs. punta ka dito next week! tambay tayo ulit sa roofdeck habang nakain ng ice cream, o kaya tequila galore sa mip!

4:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh di pa kaya tayo naguusap sa phone ilang linggo na no. At ang hirap magtext at magkwnto nang mahaba. Next week, things'll be saner. Just this week is hell. So busy. See you next week! At holiday nga pala sa 19, so better think about the pampanga plan.

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home