Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Six Feet Under

I find old people odd sometimes. They really talk about the strangest things. Especially in wakes such as my Dad’s uncle, which as of late serves as the family’s favorite hangout. It reminds me of this one line from something I’ve read, how old people’s views are affected because “death is staring at them in the face.” When put that way I suppose it is a damn convincing reason to alter someone’s point-of-view isn’t it?

Like would you have done today what you normally do if you knew you were going to die the next day? I’m really betting that most people won’t. And I hope I’m right.


***

I’ve never been squeamish about death. In fact I used to upset my high school friends whenever I’d steer the conversation to my ideal funeral, which was a lot. I was never hesitant to kill people in my stories too (I have to note though that it’s not escapism from character development either—though I still need a lot of work in that aspect); I think I earned the comment “morbid” in my earlier workshop for that. And it just occurred to me that I never really minded.

Hah.

***

Oh yeah, true to this entry’s nuance, I think Six Feet Under has got to be one of the best series ever. One line a priest said that really got to me was: “Truth is, relationships do not make life better. They make it possible.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home